Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Appeal

Appeal
24" x 12"
oil on panel

I grew up around apple trees. 
I climbed the trees from an early age. 
I still remember what it felt like
up in the branches. 
Even though the apple trees height 
was no match for the maple and oak trees, 
you couldn't help but feel big and tall. 


At an early age I was taught how to peel an apple 
using a hand held peeler. 
It took patience, but I was able to conquer the goal 
of peeling an apple with one continuous loopy twirly piece.  
That was one of the inspirations for this painting.

I enjoy the process of figuring out how 
to set up my compositions. This is how 
I had to support the apple and peel
to get just the right curl and twirl.

 A detail of my palette prior to painting. 
Clean piles of mixed paint. 
Such a beautiful thing.

Beginning stages. . .

In progress shots of the apple.


Detail from finished painting.

Detail from finished painting.

Appeal
24" x 12"
oil on panel

Principle Gallery Charleston
125 Meeting Street
Charleston, SC 29401
843-727-4500

No comments:

Post a Comment