Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Rocket Pop!

Rocket Pop
36" x 18"
oil on panel
sold

Sometimes in my treasure hunting, I come across a treasure
that instantly creates an image in my mind.
With this popcorn box, it was an easy image to 
come up with. 


 This Out of This World popcorn box


was produced by the Snyder Popcorn Supply Co
of Syracuse, NY in the 1950's.

Now, I only had to find the correct spaceship.
I wanted to find one that matched the packaging
as close as I could.

It took me 
two years.
Two years to find the one I thought would work.


Meet the X-2 Lunar Rocket.
The X-2 is a lithographed tin friction space rocket
produced by Masudaya Modern Toys
in Japan in the 1950's
Masudaya was formed in Tokyo in 1924,
and is still in business today.

A link to a video of the X-2 in action:
Now on to the fun part, the set up.
I had to figure out how to make the popcorn fly
and hold still. Very important.
Foam core and long pins were the answer.
The X-2 was adhered to a pole.
It all worked great. Very solid.
I just had to keep my popcorn loving cats
out of the studio.
Now it's time to go make some popcorn.
 Rocket Pop
36" x 18"
oil on panel
 



6 comments:

  1. Wonderful, Teresa! So nice to hear and see all that goes into creating your art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious about how you adhered the rocket and it stayed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi K, I use a low temp hot glue. I can't use it for everything. But items that is won't damage, it works great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's great to see your set up. Thanks for sharing! (Love your work...always!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! And, as always, so skillfully executed!

    ReplyDelete