Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Real Thing, Mason Murer Fine Art

The Real Thing
Mason Murer Fine Art
Atlanta, GA
Friday, September 16, 2011

The Real Thing is an invitational group show held at 
Mason Murer Fine Art in Atlanta, GA. This is a special event
for the Coca Cola Company to help celebrate it's 125th anniversary.
I am honored to participate along side Todd Ford, 
Neil Hollingsworth, Otto Lange, Michael Naples, Alvin Richard, Christopher Stott, Sally Tharp, Vic Vicini, and many more.

Date Night
20" x 16"
oil on panel

When I thought about Coca Cola, my thoughts went beyond just soda. It has become so much a part of our life. Family reunions, ball games, family game nights, movies, first dates. 

For Date Night I focused on the 1950's. Going out to the movies. The movie theater popcorn bag is from the 1950's, as well as the cup. The cup is the type that would have been used in the automatic drop down vending machines. The cup would drop, then the crushed ice, then the soda selection. 
The ticket stubs are from the Crandell Theater, Chatham, NY. It was built in 1926 by Walter S. Crandell as a vaudville house. Later it became a movie theater. Until recently, the theater still used the vintage automated drop cup soda machine. The experience took you back in time. 
And of course the vintage toy car. It's the type of car that I would hope my date would pick me up in to take me to the movies in the 1950's.

For Pappa, Very Special Delivery
30" x 24"
oil on panel
sold

While working on this painting I learned my Pappa worked for
the company in Memphis, TN that made these crates and the year matched my crate from 1965. Although my crates were not made in Memphis, I felt a connection to him as I painted it. He also harvested and sold fruits and vegetables in Memphis. Even though his truck was not this large in real life, it reminds me of his produce truck I have seen in photos. 

My yellow crate is dated 1965. The red crate is dated 1973. Both were made in Chatanooga, TN. The truck is a 1950's Coca Cola Spriteboy Truck made by the Marx Company.  The soda bottles are current. They are the 125th anniversary commemorative bottle.

Mason Murer Fine Art
Atlanta, GA 
404-879-1500






2 comments:

  1. I've done a couple of Coca-Cola pieces - this one 27 times: http://oldpaperart.blogspot.com/2009/10/pff-11-first-date.html

    I also did a Coca-Cola Hutchison bottle with a paper label - but that's another "story".

    I really enjoy the narrative that goes with both of these pieces, Teresa. The new owners will end up with not only beautiful art to hang on their wall, but also something they can talk about. It's all about sharing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very nice Teresa. Your work has always amazed me. Your work is fantastic. Love your subject matter and the way you master the paint. Love it! Wish I could of attended the opening. What a team of painters.

    ReplyDelete