Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Hurdles

Sometimes when I set out to plan a painting,
I keep myself open to exploring different possibilities.
On this day I sat in my studio with two tin horses,
and went from there.
 
These two horse and riders are
Cracker Jack premiums from the 1930's to 1940's.
I had an idea of them appearing to be going on a ride together.
 
Then I remembered I had a third horse and rider.
The larger horse is from a
1950's Chein tin merry-g-round wind up toy.
Suddenly the quiet two character image involved a third character,
but I needed something else.
What were they going to be doing, how was I feeling,
what did I want to show.
 
Jumping a wooden spool! That was it.
I ride and love the feeling of going through a field
and jumping a log if it is in your way. There is a freedom you feel.
Also I felt the symbolism of us all having hurdles to cross.
 
Setting up my compositions can sometimes be tricky.
Here I am using a microphone stand to tie a string from it
to the larger horse to help keep it propped up.
 
The final painting:
Hurdles
16" x 20"
oil on panel 
 
Hurdles will be showing at
Elliott Fouts Gallery
October Still Life Show
October 6, 2012 to November 1, 2012
Sacramento, CA
(916)736-1429

1 comment: