Friday, January 4, 2013

Face Yourself: Yes, I can Hear You



I am honored to be part of
Face Yourself
 at  
Elliott Fouts Gallery
Sacramento, CA


When EFG asked if I would like to participate in
this show,  I jumped at the chance.  
It had been seven years
since I painted my last self-portrait. 
I was excited and nervous. Painting the human form
is much different than the objects I usually paint.

I decided to go back and show you my previous self-portraits
to lead to my new one , and why I painted what I did.

Now. . . let's step back in time. . .  


  In The Garden
Summer 2000
32"x19"

Out of college I worked in watercolor.
It was the medium I was most comfortable with,
but I was itching for more, what was next? I decided to take the
leap into oils. I had taken one intro to oil course in art school. Nothing in depth, more the basics in mediums, stretching canvas, beginning color mixing. Trying not to mix mud.
At this time, I got my hands on some painting books, 
visited some  museums, and went for it.
This self-portrait above was my very first oil painting 
seven years out of college. 

I wanted to do more oil painting. 
Self-portait #2 came three months later.
 
Profile Self-Portait 
Autumn 2000
18"x14"

Soon after painting this portrait, I painted my first 
still lifes using some toys from my collection
At this time, I felt like  I was beginning to tap into
something I really wanted to explore in depth.
In 2002, I had my daughter and took a few years
off from painting. Always thinking and sketching.

In 2005 I picked up the brush again. 
This was my self-portrait from that year.
  Soul Searching
2005
20"x16"

Thinking about a new self-portrait I thought,
Who am I now?
How do I show where I am at now?

I am often asked, "How do you come up with your ideas?"   
My answer is always the same. 

"I hold my treasures in my hands and listen."

 Yes, I Can Hear You
2012
24" x 20"

   detail

 detail

Show reception:
Saturday, January 12, 2013
Elliott Fouts Gallery
1831 P. Street
Sacramento, CA
916-736-1429

  

No comments:

Post a Comment